Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Serious

I suppose I could file this under "Risk."

How serious is serious?

This is an important question. YES, cancer is serious. YES, I want to treat it seriously. So do you.

But "throw everything at it" is a bad idea. I resent having to live in a vacuum of information between initial and final diagnosis: it has put me in a "shoot first, ask questions later" position, which is equally absurd (although my surgeon will point out that the MRI, ultrasounds, and core biopsy were questions we asked about my teeny tumor).

Say you have endometriosis or other precancers and small cancers of the uterus, ovaries, cervix... does anyone seriously recommend chemical castration to avoid recurrence?

Say you are at high risk for breast cancer: this blog isn't for you.

But for those who, again, with these very treatable curable cancers, please consider ANY recommendations to remove healthy organs carefully. I will suggest that removing breasts and uterus and ovaries is like removing tonsils. Can't get tonsilitis, but more likely to get bronchitis or stomach flu, which are more serious. Won't the cancer grow elsewhere, then?

Why are only female body parts targeted?

These are serious questions, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment